The Bistro

Christina’s Hope & Vision 2022

• Author
    Replies

I arrived to Lace on Race from that same list, and about the same time Christina did. I remember us commenting together hours or days apart as we worked our way through the onboarding info. I remember feeling some jealousy that it seemed like she was grasping all the concepts so easily, knew just what to say, had already done so much more work and had such a bigger knowledge base than I had. I say that to display my whyte woman clenches…while Christina describes her clenching of her scholarly self-improvement approach that was getting in the way of the work, the one getting in the way for me was comparison, yet another version that focuses attention back on me from where it should be. Focusing on deficits and what I don’t have in this work distracts every bit as any other thing, and leads straight to offending from the victim position. We each have to show up as we are, eye to eye both with ourselves and with others, getting out of our own way, in whatever way that may be, so that we can get out of others way…shifting focus back to what will actually move the stone not create more barriers in front of it.

I came from a different list (one by a white woman I know personally). Anti-racism was in part action for me before Lace on Race, primarily through my work, but in many ways there was a disconnect between the well-read racist part of me (which to be honest wasn’t particularly well-read) and the action part of me. The not so “well-read” part of me was really seeking the ways of thinking about the world that were most stimulating to my mind – entertainment to satisfy the white supremacist part of my thinking that if one is “clever” enough and “knows” enough and can speak convincingly to other white people about “clever” ideas, that is somehow remedying. Nonsense to make white people feel good while upholding the system. I am still, of course, prone to that, to seeking what seems stimulating and clever to me, so that is something I always have to be reflecting on and reorienting myself towards the North Star.